Nehemiah


So buying a truck in Colombia is just a little bit stressful, when I say a little bit I mean loosing sleep, crying a little bit stressful.  You have to be so careful because people change the kilometers so they are lower then they actually are, people like to cheat you.  When we went to look at trucks I wasn’t allowed to talk so people didn’t hear my accent.  Just little things like that.  Oh and transferring the money from Canada to here was also a little stressful, which involved tears and me telling the manager at the bank that it was unacceptable to not have a working scanner.  And all the little steps that are involved to get the truck in your name and I was a little worried that they were going to take my money and run.  Once you find a truck that you’re a little bit interested in you have to take it to a mechanic just to make sure it’s in good shape.  I am however thankful for a good and honest mechanic (his name is Jorge for future reference).  At this point I was only looking at Toyota’s.  And here starts the story of Nehemiah.

First of all some of you probably know that the verse for Camp Gozo is “for the joy of the Lord is your strength” which is found in Nehemiah, and one day I was riding my bike to school, praying about a truck and I am pretty sure I gasped out loud.  I said (probably out loud to) that when we get a truck its name is going to be Nehemiah (we have a habit of naming out vehicles in our family).  So I wrote in my day planner to buy a truck on June 11th (this was done in faith as we weren’t even close to having all the money that we needed), but as camp was going to start on June 16th, we needed the truck for camp.

So I went to see truck #1 on June 4th, it looked good, didn’t get a great feeling about the guy, but ignored it.  A friend of mine (Claudia) who as been my number 1 side kick since day one of Camp Gozo was praying that the truck was from Bogota and that it was only one owner (it can be a little complicated if you buy a truck with plates from a different town, I don’t really know why, but that’s what everybody said.  And that the seller was the only owner (just so you know more history of the truck and it’s less risky that some shady business when down).  So this truck was neither of these things and it was about $4000 more then we had.  Thinking that I could borrow some from my parents (they said yes but just to wait and see what the mechanic had to say).  So we take it to the mechanic on June 6th and I was on my way to the shop (a little bit late) and the guy with the truck had already been there and gone.  While I was a few block away Jorge (the mechanic) called me and said that the truck didn’t pass.  He didn’t think that the motor was original, he thinks the guy lowered the km and the truck was used pretty hard and on top of all of that the guy tried to pay Jorge off so he would help him sell the truck to me.  Did I mention that I was so thankful for an honest mechanic?  Jorge said to me that you need a lot of patience while buying a truck.

Went to see truck number two that same day.  Every one seemed really nice, but again the plates weren’t from Bogota and it wasn’t the only owner.  But the truck was nice and the people where nice and this was only $2500 more then we had.  We had everything set up to go to the mechanic on Tuesday the 9th of June.  The plan was for Claudia and I to go to the guys house and go see Jorge with them.  Claudia and I had a hard time getting a taxi, we had a hard time getting a bus and then we got lost.  The guy then called us and said that he was only going to wait five more minutes because he has a lot of things to do today.  Anyways so we get it to Jorge, said that it was in much better condition then the other one but the back tires needed changing as they weren’t the same as the front and he thought that they were asking to much money and to be patient.  The guys didn’t like what they had to say so all the ride back to their house the talked so bad about Jorge, which didn’t sit well with me.

So that same afternoon we went to see truck number 3.  Truck number 3 was in the worst state (it was leaking oil for starters) but for the amount of money that I had and that I could put the money that my parents were going to lend my into repairs.  The plates weren’t from Bogota and the guy wasn’t the original owner.  The guys didn’t really want to take it to the mechanic; he wanted Jorge to come to his house.  We finally convinced him to take it, but he didn’t have a license, but was going to let me drive it.  Now this guy lived on the opposite end of the city, so we would have had to take it all the way to Jorge and all the way back.  He went up to get is coat but then realized that he had pico y placa (which is there are certain days of the week, depending on the last number of your license plate, that you can’t drive during rush hour cause there are so many cars and traffic in Bogota).  So then the plan became to go back early the next day and take it.  When we got home (Claudia stayed at my house a couple of nights as she lives far away and we were so busy running around) we kind of decided that it wasn’t worth it, that because of the state of the truck we probably weren’t going to buy it anyways and to go to all that trouble.

By this point I had given up hope and was starting to thing of plan B to get all the camp stuff out to camp.  I was positive we weren’t going to have a truck before camp.  Claudia wanted to set up another appointment in the morning and I told her, there are no more trucks, there isn’t one left for us to see, not even one.  The only trucks that were left were about $10,000 more than we had.  (My parents love me but $10,000 is a lot of money).  So I had given up hope. 

I was hanging up the clothes that I just washed when Jorge calls me and tells me that he has a truck for me.  A 2007 Mazda (told him that I didn’t hear good things about Mazda trucks) but he told me they got a bad name and that they fixed the problem and it was a good strong truck and that they use them in the oil fields here.  I called Steve (our director) to see what he thought, he told me that he heard the same things about Mazda’s but trusts Jorge’s opinion completely and if he says it’s a good truck then it’s a goo truck.  The plates were from Bogota, but he wasn’t the only owner.  But Claudia and I thought what is the harm of looking and it does save the step of going to see a truck and then taking it to Jorge, as this truck already has his seal of approval.  And that he was only asking $500 dollars more than we had but sure that we could get him down to what we actually had.  So we went to see it and the first thing that the owner said was that he saw this truck grow up.  (It was a friend of his and it worked with the truck from day one, his friend sold it to him not to long ago and he hasn’t left his shop since that day).  He didn’t have plans on selling it(so it wasn’t online or anything) but another guy came into his shop, the truck had a couple scrapes on it and he told Marco (the owner) that if he fixes those scrapes he would think of buying it.  This truck had only been used in Bogota to take parts from shop to shop, so it wasn’t used and abused in the country like the other trucks we have seen.  Just over 100000 km’s, new tires, new oil change, new paint job and because it was used for machinists the seats were all torn up but he was changing those and putting new material on them.  And we made a deal and we got it for $500 LESS then we had saved up.  Marco (the owner) such a nice man.  We went and did all the paper work that day (June 10th), paid him and at the end of the day the truck was in my name.   The plan was to pick it up yesterday but the truck had pico y placa so we are going to pick it up today.  I called him yesterday, just to make sure that it would be ready, because sometimes they say things will be ready and they aren’t.  His response to me was “we made a deal, of course it’s going to be ready”.  So that’s the story of Nehemiah.  I am so thankful, it’s such an answer to prayer and other then being a little terrified to drive in Bogota (and having to get used to driving a big truck, I have 100% peace that this is the truck that God wanted for camp Gozo.

Speaking of Camp Gozo it does start on Tuesday so please keep us in your prayers.  Please pray for safety (especially with me driving) and that hearts and lives are changed.  And again if you want to sponsor a kid to go to camp please visit this website https://msccanada.org/give-now.html and under projects and funds click Camp Gozo.  Thank you all again for all your prayers and support and words of encouragement.  I still have a lot do but I am surprisingly not stressed out and I am sleeping, last year, the week before camp I hardly slept, so even sleeping is an answer to prayer. 
Love you guys
Ingie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keepin it real in Quito

Fruit

Boys Camp… Just a little late